Sunday, January 13, 2008

RESTRAINING OUR SENSE OF MEGALOMANIA

I must confess that I’m a bit megalomaniac.  I must submit myself to some form of therapy for easily associating power and energy with the grandiosity of structures. Tsk! Thus, I remember, after visiting the churches of Vigan and Laoag for the first time some years ago, the compulsive in me was quietly insisting that new churches in the country should be built the old fashioned way, that is as massive and as monolithic -- testimonies to the ingenuity of man paying tribute to a great God.  But then, I was catching and asking myself: What do I mean? And so I thought perhaps that the solid buttresses of the baroque Paoay Church are the closest that we can get to the mysterious stupas of Borobodur in Djogjakarta or the magnificence of the Thai King’s Grand Temple of the Emerald Buddha.   I can be awe struck by the effort of reconstruction being done on the Santa Monica Church (destroyed by an earthquake two months after the Marcos-Araneta nuptials).  Up on the still exposed ceilings, hundreds of cured ancient logs hung uncomplaining side-by-side each other serving as frame-support for the roof nestling above.  And so with pride, I thought, we can also work wonders with our local wood approximating those on the temples at Nara and Kyoto.  Of course,  I can dream on. 

Quickly enough, I was shaking myself off my deranged musings. I’m not merely admiring an ancient monument, a tomb or simply another fascinating tourist attraction. I had to hear myself saying: “These are churches, for heaven’s sake!” As such, they function more than mere backdrops immotalized on our ubiquitous postcards.  I’m sure the ancient builders of these Ilocos churches (i.e., the Augustinians and Dominicans) well subscribed to the claim of a God who “wishes all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.”  Aptly, at a time when catechetical instructions faced a lot of limitations and when technology had yet to invent the public address system, the Church if I may surmised, needed the symbolisms of these massive structures, the stories conjured by the stained glass windows, the phalanx of saintly images, the ornate retablos, the spires that pointed heaven-wards to drive home the point that there exist a great God that remains the sole and worthy subject of all our expressions of worship.  If the life of the faithful then seemed detached from the cryptic liturgy, at least with the visual sensations around them, they can worship God.  The approach seemed logical enough given the context of the old.

To state the obvious, however, we say that times have indeed changed.  We needed to graduate from the pleasure of mere visual sensations to more meaningful and life changing experiences of God.  Thus to my mind, the underlying challenge being posed by our practice of faith is to encounter God in the most proximate and real way.  To this effect, a lot of conscious efforts will need to be made to contextualize our practices and ensure active participation in memorializing the paschal mystery of our Lord.   

We acknowledge the headways done and accomplished in this regard.  Now, we receive and translate the Gospels in dialects closest to our own local psyche.  Our songs now carry the temperament and emotions of our own culture.  We can now sing the Great Amen to affirm and accept our real understanding (hopefully?) of the mystery unfolding before us during each liturgical celebration.  Our participation in such rites, as well, helps us identify with an assembly that encounters God in a multiplicity of ways.  In short, our inculturated liturgy allows us every opportunity to experience the power and energy of God via our supposed participation in the very life of the Church. 

The grandiose buildings of the old have indeed served their purpose.  Every so often, we enter a massive structure and experience the monumental God, the Being bigger than ourselves that the buildings so wished to impress upon our minds and those of the early believers.  Nevertheless, the call of the times points us to a greater participation in the life of the Church than merely being overly concerned with structures and external trimmings.  


I guess, I myself will need to temper my own compulsions or perhaps more … even say a little prayer that our Church may be saved from crazy megalomaniacs like myself.