Tuesday, July 28, 1998

PANDA 757 RP

"I KNOW YOU."  The phrase took me by surprise as PANDA 757 RP spoke to me.  His presence remains so overwhelming even as I write this piece.  Talking to one's BALLPEN can surely make one feel a bit schizophrenic.  I felt it alive ... moving and affecting me as I allowed myself to deeply contemplate the reality of that THING in front of me.  It's funny to think and realize that an object so taken for granted can actually assert its importance and influence in one's life.  Such is the case with PANDA 757 RP.  And it spoke:  "You have written much about what and how you feel.  You may have not expressed them verbally.  But as you write about them ... I have gotten to know you more.  Others may not understand you ... but I do."


I'm not sure if I would feel a bit surprised and assured (that because of our prayer workshop on "contemplation") I've established a relationship with a simple ballpoint pen.  A mere object had indeed come alive and my own life is not separate from it.  What about the other objects around me that I take for granted ... what about ... more so ... my God.


Indeed, as I am called to contemplate the world around me ... and acknowledge LIFE teeming in abundance ... speaking, relating and asserting not to be ignored ... I've thought of the God that I'm challenged always to contemplate.  HE SPEAKS ... and YES ... OVERWHELMINGLY!