Sunday, October 5, 2014

Lord, Let Your Face Shine Upon Us

Memorial of Saint Francis of Assisi
Reflections on  Job 42:1-3, 5-6, 12-17/   Psalm 119:66, 71, 75, 91, 125, 130  /  Luke 10:17-24

by Frank D.B. Savadera, SJ

Today the feast of St. Francis of Assisi, we find in our readings images of people rejoicing and celebrating. Done were the drama days of Job; he who earlier noted – God gives and God takes away.  Blessed is the name of the Lord. After all his life travails, today Yahweh gives him back everything.  According to our account: “the LORD blessed the latter days of Job MORE (even more) than his earlier ones.”

Similarly in the Gospel of Luke, the disciples were partying:  “The seventy-two disciples returned rejoicing and said to Jesus, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us because of your name.”  Indeed, there is rejoicing in knowing that all our demons have no power over us.  Satan can fall like lightning from the sky.  Wouldn’t you party and celebrate knowing that the Lord had given you power ‘to tread upon serpents and scorpions and upon the full force of your enemies and nothing will harm you.

The first message that I’m picking up from our readings today is that of JOY and celebration.  God gives us back MORE than what we’ve had initially received… and He assures us that our demons will never never have power over us … we can walk upon serpents and scorpions and never be harmed.  Would we like that?  Would we like to claim that for ourselves?

But as you may know, this feeling of joy and celebration did not come easy for Job.   Everything was taken away from him.  Remember how God and the devil conversed and ventured to test his faith.  Thus, after being given so much in life, his properties were seized, his loved ones perished and Job found himself living the life of a destitute.   Likewise, the very fact that the 72 disciples talked about devils … can mean for us that they battled … even perhaps fearlessly against a battalion of devils.  

Thus, for our second point, I wish to stress that JOY is a consequence, a by-product of faith and forbearance.  As the cliché’ goes … there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Or if we refer to Saint Francis: “All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.”  Or “A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows.”

We refer to Job’s prayer and note how faith and forbearance can come only from a knowledge that God can do all things and that no purpose of His can ever be hindered.  Faith and forbearance come with a realization … that Lord … I have dealt with great things that I do not understand; things too wonderful for me, which I cannot know.  

Thus amidst all the drama of life that we go through, we pray as the Psalmist prays …as we beg:  LORD, LET YOUR FACE SHINE ON ME.  I want to see you face and your light amidst all of these things happening around me. Teach me wisdom and knowledge.  Help me accept and bear with things that afflict me and realize that I have a lot to learn about the world, about myself, about you … my life and vocation.   Give me faith.  Give me forbearance.  Friends, the prayer:  LORD LET YOUR FACE SHINE ON ME is a prayer of faith and forbearance amidst our experiences of troubles.

Finally, true joy and celebration come from a genuine experience of seeing and being convinced that it is indeed the Lord that talks and guides me all the days of my life.  Job affords to be joyful not only because he had simply heard about Yahweh.  “I had heard of you by word of mouth, but now my eye has seen you,” says he.

Let us allow ourselves to see as Job saw the Lord.  Find assurances in the very words of Jesus when he said:  “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see.  For I say to you, many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear, but did not hear it.” 


Friends, I suppose … this is the way of the saints … and the same is true for Saint Francis.  We continue to battle against all our demons.  We are asked to beg:  Lord, let your face shine upon me and from our experiences derive greater faith and forbearance.  Doing so … we pray that we will see and genuinely experience real joy.