Sunday, October 12, 2014

Not Missing the Voice of the Shepherd

Saturday of the 27th  Week in Ordinary Time
Reflection on the Gospel:  Luke 11:27-28

Not Missing the Voice of the Shepherd
by Frank D. B. Savadera, SJ

I've heard of some who use the Gospel today to DOWNPLAY the role of Mary in our history of salvation.  Jesus appears to be rebuking a woman who comes to appreciate His mother: "Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts that nursed you."  Jesus, as if parrying credit for Mary instead says:    “Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

In Mary's defense, we say:  Blessed is Mary who heard the word of God and observed it.
I think if there's one helpful question that I wish to ask myself, it  is this:  Much like Mary,  Am I able to hear God?  Am I able to follow his word?

Let me site some possible BLOCKS to not hearing the Word of God:
1.    SHEER NEGLECT or an underdeveloped sensitivity to God’s presence.  This maybe due to a lot of things i.e. laziness to pray,  busy-ness of life, incapacity to be still, etc.  Can I while away my time in prayer? We instill FAITHFULNESS in prayer:  Can I actually say: I enjoy praying.  This may be the only time I can pray.  Thus, I make the most out of it.  Can I give my full attention to what God may tell me?  This is about the direction of life that I wish to live.  Do I can to listen and be faithful to my prayer?      
2.   SPIRITUAL DEAFNESS due to anger, pain jealousy, bitterness, malice and resentment.  Isn’t it true that when we are AT WAR with another, we tend to defend and over-defend ourselves.  Oftentimes, we even seek revenge and justification.  We can actually be so consumed by our negative emotions … that we are just so compelled to air them out … to speak, to criticize, to defend ourselves.  We fail to listen. Fr. BERT ALEJO has a good image of what it means to come home.  HOME in the Tagalog vernacular is TAHANAN, that which comes from the root word TAHAN or TAHAN NA … STOP CRYING!  Thus,  HOME is a place where we STOP CRYING.  We are finally AT HOME with ourselves, at home with others.   How are we moving toward being at home with ourselves and the concerns, issues and the drama of my life.  Can I settle and be ready to listen and not be deaf.  The call perhaps is to have a GREATER SENSITIVITY TO THE GRAND DESIGNS OF GOD.  We do not tackle our issues simply for the sake of burdening us and hitting our heads with stone.  We also would like to believe that God does not mean us to suffer.  But even our worst situation/ experience in life can actually prepare us for what the Lord wishes us to do.  Can we have a listening ear as to where God is always leading us?
3.   UNBELIEVING HEART or our incapacity to trust and risk.  Is this really true?  Is this really happening to me? Am I just fooling myself?    But I have a lot to lose?   I may be asked to surrender my attachments … what principle and beliefs that I may hold true.  I may further hurt myself or make a bigger fool of myself.  Can I afford to make a mistake.   Amidst our constant doubts and fears, it may help to ask ourselves:  WHAT’s THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN?  Shame, embarrassment, failure?  CAN THOSE KILL ME?  What cannot kill you can make you a better person … isn’t it?  The call therefore is to SURRENDER  with great GENEROSITY.  What is your will, Lord?  We remember the evangelist John's image image of a true SHEEP.  The true sheep will hear the voice of the Shepherd and will be led by Him (John 10:1-5). The true sheep will not follow a stranger’s voice, only God’s.

Thus, we pray to remember:  God speaks to us in a very specific and personal fashion.  We cannot miss his word.    We must all expect to hear God’s voice and then follow it … thru our FAITHFULNESS TO PRAYER,  GREATER SENSITIVITY TO THE GREAT AND GRAND DESIGNS OF GOD and  our SURRENDERING and our GENEROSITY to risk and follow the voice of the Shepherd.